04 Tour: TS in Philly Tonight

Date: 10.13.04

Philadelphia fans will be visited by The Twilight Singers tonight at the first show of their brief North American tour. North Star Bar will be playing host, with Dios Malos opening.

Online tickets have been sold out for days; but there may be tickets available at the box office. You can call the bar direct at (215) 684-0808.

While in Philly yesterday, the band recorded a session for WXPN's World Cafe radio show. No word yet on when it will air.

If you make it out to North Star, drop a note in the comments with the setlist and show notes.

Comment on "04 Tour: TS in Philly Tonight"

Aaron Says:

I will be there - with beer in hand. They were soooo damn good the last time they played at the NS - and I have no doubt that this time will be even better! Plus it's my birthday to boot - best present I could ask for!

Posted: October 13, 2004 10:58 AM

jmb7473 Says:

I'll see you there. I have to agree, they were awesome last time. Can't wait for tonight...

Posted: October 13, 2004 11:16 AM

glowmoon Says:

lucky duckies!!!

Posted: October 13, 2004 06:45 PM

doug Says:

The show last night was typically awesome. Dulli didn't talk much, sadly...but oh well. The intro'd "Faded" with a bit of KISS' "Beth", and Dulli yelled "get off my back Beth!" before launching into Faded. That was cool. "That's Just How That Bird Sings" was played, as it was at their Nov '03 Philly show. That song in a rock and roll version is soooo great. "Too Tough To Die" and "Hyperballad" were the highlights from the covers record. They played a couple (covers I assume?) that I wasn't familiar with. And what song was that from the year 1983? It sounded familiar but I couldn't place it.

I took a virgin Dulli person and they loved the show, despite not knowing any of the songs. The t-shirts are cool -- image of the Capitol with Twilight Singers written across it and "Los Angeles USA" at the bottom of the image.

And, they were selling a TS live bootleg for $10. I only had $20, so I went with the shirt. If anyone is willing to pick up a copy of the CD for me at another show, I'll pay for their copy too... Email me...

Doug

Posted: October 14, 2004 08:54 AM

Tom Says:

Show was awesome!! Third time seeing them in Philly in a year and they've been excellent every time. To answer Doug's question about the song from 1983...I believe it was Def Leppard's "Photograph"...believe it or not!!
Opening with Teenage Wristband was brilliant!! My only disappointment was Greg's lack of conversation. I have always found it humorous when he goes off on some subject...baseball, movies, music, politics. Oh well, maybe next time they're in Philly.

Posted: October 14, 2004 09:45 AM

neil roosevelt Says:

Are you kidding me? No one has even mentioned Crime Scene as an encore. I had goose bumps and a tear in my eye. Greg looked awesome too. The best he's looked in years.

Posted: October 14, 2004 11:33 AM

VerveUp Says:

The Def Leppard cover was "Photograph" for sure. That was funny hearing him play that. Show was rocking as ever. Greg knows how to get the crowd going with that big 'ole smile and the rockin' guitar.

And Doug, the bootleg was a DVD not a CD. Just like being at a concert. The guy standing in the corner with the camcorder at the pHilly show must have shot it cuz it's pretty rough but definitely worth the $10 in my book!

Posted: October 14, 2004 01:06 PM

glowmoon Says:

How was the sound on the dvd? The heard Allman Brother's have a mini crew that makes and sells their boots after the show...a dvd is definitely taking that concept (which is awesome) a step further.

Posted: October 14, 2004 02:41 PM

neil Says:

Here was the setlist from last night;

Teenage Wristband
Cigarettes
Too tough to die
Esta Noche
Love supreme/stay
Thats how the bird sings
decatur st
twilight kid
Martin eden
love/annie mae
Papillion/Photograph
hyperballad
black is the color

The killer

Crime Scene
Beth/Faded

I think thats it

Posted: October 14, 2004 02:42 PM

keith Says:

Of course the twilight singers blew the roof off of the north star bar last night. The DVD is awsome the quality and sound are excellent. It's from a show in kentucky of 2004. John curly comes on from a three song encore which of course are Afghan Whigs songs which was awsome. Gregs MOM ON THE dvd is in the audience also.

Posted: October 14, 2004 03:14 PM

glowmoon Says:

Finally (the dvd) it has happened to you
Right in front of my face
My feelin's can't describe it...
I wish I was up there in Cambridge...I'd be gettin' me some Redbones b-bque and checkin' out the show!

Posted: October 14, 2004 05:05 PM

Michael Says:

I think you're missing "Feeling of Gaze"

Posted: October 14, 2004 05:43 PM

Ken H Says:

I was there all the way from FL!!! Brought my best friend who got me into AW back in 91. Right up front we were. Leaning on the stage. The girl next to me had her first experience with Dulli live and there were definitely tears in her eyes. I knew how she felt...Completely unbelievable. You guys were great.....talk to you guys soon...."put on your rose fur coat, its 1973"

Posted: October 14, 2004 07:13 PM

VerveUp Says:

The DVD was awesome for $10. Where the sound quality was just like being at the show, the image quality was pretty grainy. It is great to have the actual concert of my very own so I can see Greg jammin' whenever I want to.

Posted: October 14, 2004 08:59 PM

Ken H Says:

I did not see the DVD there...i am completely bummed and would like to get one...any ideas out there!!! Please help

Posted: October 14, 2004 10:22 PM

Joe Says:

He played something else while at the piano, besides the Killer, but I didn't recognize it. Anyone else know what it was?

Posted: October 15, 2004 05:20 AM

Bill Says:

After The Killer, they played a fine cover of My Bloody Valentine's "When You Sleep".

Posted: October 15, 2004 09:24 AM

i Says:

I was at the philly show too and did not see the DVD :( - please write to my email if you have a copy and are willing to make another copy and sell it to me. please write to iditsk@yahoo.com,
I will be forever gratefull! :)

Posted: October 16, 2004 11:52 PM

Jay Says:

I was at the Philly show and loved it. I was wondering about the song Beth/ Faded. Where can I find it? Album? Who? Whoever could help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted: October 17, 2004 12:10 PM

Jill Says:

"Beth" is a KISS song. "Beth" can be found on the "Beautiful Girls Soundtrack" that Greg worked on, along with 2 Afghan Whigs cover songs for that movie which are Barry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" and Frederick Knight's "Be for Real". The "Beautiful Girls Soundtrack" is really a great album and worth every cent.

"Beth" is originally found on many KISS albums like "Destroyer", "Double Platinum", "Alive II - Live Version", "Greatest Hits", and many "Best of" albums for KISS.

"Faded" is from the Afghan Whigs' "Black Love" album. "Crime Scene Part 1" is a song that is also from the "Black Love" album, which is also being played at the TS shows.

All of these albums are new and used on Amazon.com and Half.com.

Posted: October 17, 2004 04:02 PM

Angie Says:

I was there last Wed night! As usual, it was incredible but I do wish that Dulli spoke to the crowd more, like he has done in the past. I've never seen a TS yet where he doesn't end with Faded and I think it is a truly brilliant way to end the show! I also agree with someone above who said that Greg hasn't looked this great in years - has clean living come to play at his house?

I am sad that I missed them the last time they were at the North Star, but I'll never forget being right up front when they played the Khyber in Philly a year or so ago. Truly one of the best shows I've ever with Greg, AW or TS!

Posted: October 18, 2004 02:37 PM

Dave Says:

Curious... I noticed the line:

"And put on your rose fur coat, baby, it's 1973"

in Summer's Kiss and also in the song "Suffering" by Satchel. Which came first ? What is the signifigance if any ????

Posted: October 19, 2004 09:43 PM

Jill Says:

Found note on "Rose fur Coat" in part 2 of this old AW site.

"Summer's Kiss": That line "Put on your rose fur coat baby, it's 1973" is also in Satchel's song "Suffering" on the Beautiful Girls soundtrack! Yes. However, in the context of the "Summer's Kiss" lyrics, the speaker is quoting to his girlfriend the lyrics of "Suffering," to which they are listening at the time.

Posted: October 19, 2004 10:46 PM

David Says:

Thanks so much for answering that for me... I have the song on a mix tape and always wondered about that line but always would then forget to look it up. Thanks :)

Posted: October 21, 2004 07:29 AM