04 Tour: TS in NYC Tonight

Date: 10.16.04

The Twilight Singers roll into New York City tonight, to take the stage at Irving Plaza. Doors open at midnight for this special CMJ show.

Setlist is in the comments (thanks, Chris!).

Udpated:
NJ.com Review

Comment on "04 Tour: TS in NYC Tonight"

Chris Says:

I'll be there -- and I'll do my best to get you an exact setlist!

Posted: October 16, 2004 12:37 PM

Chris Says:

FANTASTIC show -- better than the Warsaw earlier this year. Full set:

"Teenage Wristband"

"Candy Cane Crawl"

"Too Tough To Die"

"A Love Supreme / Please Stay"

"Esta Noche"

"Decatur St."

"Feeling Of Gaze"

"The Twilite Kid"

"That's Just How That Bird Sings"

"Love"

"Annie Mae"

"Papillon / Photograph" ("This was my favorite song senior year of high school" - Dulli)

"Martin Eden"

"Hyperballad"

"Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair"

"Time Of The Season" (Not on the setlist)

---

"Black Love"

"The Killer"

"When You Sleep / The Rose"

---

"Crime Scene Part One"

"Beth / Faded"

Dulli wasn't very talkative until the end of the main set, when the band slid immediately into "Time Of The Season" from "Black..." and Greg sat on the edge of the stage with his drink and his cigarette, a la Dean Martin's TV show in the 70s (or so he explained to us). He then serenaded a lady in the audience with "Time Of The Season" ("This is the Zombies, Dino style"). Manuel's parents were in the audience; Dulli had us all applaud them during the encore.

They really did sound just awesome; it was an absolutely fantastic show. And the searchlights across the crowd during "Crime Scene" were pretty freakin' great.

The one dark spot was that there were no DVDs -- the woman at the merch table informed me that the shipment didn't come in on time. So hopefully later shows will have them? The website had better carry 'em too...

Posted: October 17, 2004 03:52 AM

Chris Says:

Woof. Sorry about the double line-breaks, they didn't show up on preview.

Posted: October 17, 2004 03:54 AM

Timm Says:

Candy Cane Crawl? What's the story with this song? Is it new, old, a cover? Anyone know? I'm dying to know.

Posted: October 17, 2004 11:25 PM

Chris Says:

I read somewhere that it's a new Twilight Singers song, intended for the next album. It didn't sound the way I expected it to -- it was very rock-ish but didn't seem to have the same sound as BLACKBERRY BELLE; I may be misremembering it but it seemed closest to a high-speed "Be Sweet," or at least it sounded kind of GENTLEMEN-esque. Again, my memory may be faulty, though.

Posted: October 18, 2004 12:31 AM

blake Says:

It's on the Dulliscious site. It is a new song, or it could be an Amber Headlights off shoot. But I'm pretty sure it's a new one for the next album, so some of you got a sneak peak. Sounds sonically a little Uptown Again-ish to me.

Posted: October 18, 2004 08:05 AM

Will Says:

One addition to the setlist. Dulli sang the first few lines of "17 Days" by Prince when he first sat down at the piano for the encore.

Posted: October 18, 2004 09:29 AM

glowmoon Says:

They need to get a preorder list for the DVD on the website. I think that would help calm those in need, indeed.

Posted: October 18, 2004 10:52 AM

byron Says:

I'd agree with "Candy Cane Crawl" being very "Uptown Again" reminiscent. I arrived during that song and for a split second I thought "Oh no! I'm missing them playing "Uptown Again"!"

Great show, but because we got there late we were stuck on the edge of the crowd with all the people who for whatever reason could care less about watching the band. No matter, I still enjoyed it immensely.

Posted: October 18, 2004 01:23 PM

Craydawg Says:

Greg also threw in a reference to "5 o'clock" a 1996 rap by Nonchalant. ("5 o'clock in the morning, where you gonna be--outside on the corner"). I think it was right before Candy Cane.

Posted: October 18, 2004 02:28 PM

gregger Says:

anyone know the brunette dulli was talking to when he sat down on the edge of the stage? she was SMOKING

Posted: October 18, 2004 05:00 PM

mike Says:

Made it to the show. Left Whitehouse NJ at 11:07pm got to Irving Place by 12:05, surprisingly found a parking space a block away, scalped tickets for $25 a piece by 12:15am and was in the place, 3 rows from the front by 12:30am with a drink. Dulli looked in good health. The show was awesome and I would say rivaled the Warsaw show of last year. Music was loud, but that is how RnR is played.

Let's do it again!!!

Posted: October 18, 2004 05:19 PM

abe Says:

I was way up front for the show and took some pics. Hopefully, they came out well...I'll post some choice pics up when I get them back from developing. Amazing show! Too bad no DVDs, hopefully they will be offered via the TS website. I think Dulli should just release "Amber Headlights" cuts..."Candy Cane" and the songs he played from the last tour were AMAZING.

Posted: October 19, 2004 09:26 AM

John Says:

Amazing show. The band sounded better than ever. I'm from Michigan. Had to plan a trip to New York (never been) to see TS and propose to my girlfriend. I asked her before the encore; Dulli came out and handed me a bottle of champagne to pass around (total coincidence). Amazing. This man is just that cool to us. Thank you.

Posted: October 19, 2004 12:06 PM

ny Says:

Nice one. On a related note, Feeling of Gaze was the wedding song my wife and I first danced to.

Posted: October 19, 2004 12:50 PM

clr Says:

I've got a small review and one photo here:

Posted: October 19, 2004 02:06 PM

glowmoon Says:

Man, I'm a sucker for nice pics and that one sure did say it all!
I'll tell the kids about this link @ wannagoforaride about it!
Thank you!

Posted: October 19, 2004 02:54 PM

rkenny Says:

What is the "Dulliscious site"? Just curious.

Posted: October 19, 2004 04:13 PM

Robin from Canada Says:

I looked EVERYWHERE for merch!! Where was it???

Can someone tell me what was available and if I can order it from elsewhere? The show was completely unreal... and getting a shirt would have put it over the top - hook a guy up!

Posted: October 19, 2004 05:27 PM

Jill Says:

Dullicious site has a lot of things on the Afghan Whigs and also new things on TS. It has an (MP3 of the week) with "Candy Cane Crawl". Lot of neat things.

Wannagoforaride (glowmoon mentioned above) is a AW/TS fan submission site and has a place to send pics & things, post on a messageboard, trade.

TS merch can be found in the (SWAG) section of the TS Official site. I wasn't at the shows, but I assume that it would be posted on this site in the (SWAG) section, if Merch were to be sold on the site?

Hope this helps.